VA

I have fracture on the base of proximal phlanax of my great toe 1mmx2mm , how long does it take to heal and do i have to see a orthopedic surgeon ?

Dr. Gregory Hines
6 weeks: Most fractures of any bone will heal in about 6 weeks. As to whether you need to see an orthopedist, you probably do not. You should tape the broken toe to an adjacent toe ("buddy taping") to splint it, and take tylenol (acetaminophen) or advil for pain. If this is not working you should see an orthopedist, as you may not be healing and can cause a false joint to form.
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery 37 years experience
10 weeks& it depends: Fractures generally heal at a rate of 10% per week. If it is non-dosplaced it should do well. If it is displaced or angulated or involves the joint it should be evaluated by a trained professional. If you're not sure, then you probably should have it checked out to avoid a malunion or other problem that will be harder to treat after the bone is healed.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 28 years experience
You can see: A podiatrist as well. Typically 6-8 weeks. The important questions are is in intraarticular? Meaning does it involve the joint? Is it displaced? Is it comminuted? (multiple pieces). You need to be more cautious in a big toe as you would any other toe as it bears more weight and is more important than the lesser toes in terms of wallking. I would advise seeing someone for a consultation.

Last updated Mar 12, 2014