Palm Beach, FL

can dostinex (cabergoline) be used in men to decrease the ejaculation refractory period? prolactin level is at the upper limit of normal.

Dr. Michael Wolff
Dr. Michael Wolff answered
General Practice 38 years experience
Dostinex (cabergoline): Dostinex (cabergoline) is used to treat hyperprolactinemia in male patients. It does not help with ejaculatory dysfunction.
Dr. PETER Stanfield
Unsure: I have not seen any studies in this regard. As for the mechanism of action it could but that still need to be proven.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Not likely: Dostinex (cabergoline) is used to treat hyperprolactinemia (hormone to make milk) by stimulating Dopamine receptor in the pituitary gland. It may reduce time to ejaculation but not likely to reduce the refractory period. As we get older this time gets longer and longer. Maybe testosterone can. Consult your doc. Good luck.
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr Nguyen, I don't know of any harm associated with a prolactin level that is too low, so if this patient is distressed, and his prolactin level is at the upper range of normal because he has frequent intercourse, what would the harm in him trying it? I don't think I would hand out Dostinex scripts like a vitamin pill, but if it saves his marriage/relationship, is it worth a try?
Jul 22, 2012
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen commented
Provided original answer
Dr. Sinclair: Please read my answer closely. I did not say anything about whether he should use it or not, nor did I mention anything about any harm from using it. It was my opinion that this medicine is not likely going to help his case.
Jul 22, 2012
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Yes, and I disagree: One of the symptoms of high prolactin levels is delayed orgasm. Furthermore, elevation in prolactin happens due to orgasm. Here is an article http://www.Nature.Com/ijir/journal/v14/n2/full/3900823a.Html it makes sense to me that dostinex (cabergoline), (cabergoline) used off label, could help a patient with a long refractory period or delayed ejaculation. Patient with high prolactin would probably benefit from dostinex (cabergoline).
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen commented
Dr. Sinclair, As I mentioned Dostinex may reduce time to ejaculation by the mechanism of its action, but THIS PATIENT HAS NORMAL PROLACTIN LEVEL and so likely not going to benefit from it.
Jul 22, 2012

Last updated Nov 23, 2018