Why does Zoloft (sertraline) cause vivid dreams?

Dr. Kevin Passer
34 years experience in Child Psychiatry
Side effect: It sounds like a side effect. I would run it by the doctor that prescribed the zoloft (sertraline). Unless it causes sedation, i advise my patients to take their zoloft (sertraline) in the mornings. Also, zoloft (sertraline) is absorbed 50 % better with food, another reason to take it the morning, after breakfast.
Answered on Apr 9, 2018
1
2
Dr. Ranji Varghese
16 years experience in Sleep Medicine
Some medications have in addition to their main effect like blocking serotonin re-uptake like Zoloft, they can also affect other neurotransmitter systems responsible for dreams.
Jul 21, 2012