how can i tell if my tooth pain is a cavity?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Daniel Sampson
26 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
See the dentist: This is really the only way to find out. You can't really see inside your mouth very well. X-rays and a clinical exam with specialized instruments are needed to diagnose decay.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
1
Dr. Anna Guarna
35 years experience Dentistry
See a dentist: A dentist can determine if your tooth pain is a cavity. It is likely that it is.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Dr. Ronald Achong
18 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Difficult : It is difficult for patients to do this themselves. A dentist can quickly determine the cause of the tooth pain.
Answered on Jul 24, 2015
Dr. Louis Gallia
45 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
You can't: You can't unless the cavity is large. Probably is a cavity. Only your dentist can tell for sure. Take OTC pain meds and see dentist.
Answered on Jul 24, 2015