what're the best medications for anxiety and panic disorder?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Susan Uhrich
35 years experience Psychiatry
Medications that: Raise serotonin in the brain can significantly decrease baseline anxiety, which can prevent panic from happening. Sometimes adding a long acting benzodiazepine like Clonazepam can further decrease baseline anxiety.
Answered on Feb 24, 2018
2
Dr. Susan Uhrich
35 years experience Psychiatry
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
3
Dr. Kevin Passer
34 years experience Child Psychiatry
Not benzos: The challenge for me is always to try and have a patient panic free without having to resort to benzodiazapines. These drugs include xanax, (alprazolam) klonopin, valium and others. Because they are potentially addictive, i avoid them. My drug of choice for panic disorder is nortriptyline. I also like citalopram and buspirone.
Answered on Feb 24, 2018
1
Dr. Cyma Khalily
34 years experience Psychiatry
MANY: There are a lot of options for treating panic and anxiety. The antidepressant class of medications is often used for anxiety. I believe that benzodiazepines (ie xanax, (alprazolam) valium etc) have a place and can be used very safely if prescribed appropriately.
Answered on Nov 11, 2019
1