Medford, OR

Why would drs.perscribe methadone 4 drug addicts when they use it for chronic pain patients? just another addiction 2 get addicted too!

Dr. David Teicheira
Pain Management 38 years experience
Good question: The government chose Methadone to maintain addiction (prevent withdrawals) because it's cheap, it comes in liquid form, and it prevents withdrawals for 24 hours or more. Addicts aren't focused on finding their next fix. They get a chance to solve their problem. It also happens to be a good pain reliever. Part of this complex question is the big difference between addiction and physical dependence.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine 37 years experience
Because it is : Long acting drug , people can achieve a higher degree of stability. Supposedly, they would not or could not be stable without some medicine added from the outside. However, you are right, the physical dependence is maintained. Is that really important if a person is functioning better?