Can an adult epipen (epinephrine) be used on a child during life threatening anaphylaxis? My 7 &9 yo sons have had hive reactions in the past. I keep an epi for me.

Dr. David Miller
9 years experience in Family Medicine
No, need kid's dose: First off, if your kids have only reacted with hives, you need to not over-react unless they have a history of anaphylactic reactions to various things. This should be investigate by a qualified allergist if you are concerned. Second, if their allergies warrent using an epipen, (epinephrine) then need to have their own, which will contain an kid's dose vs an adult dose.
Answered on Jan 14, 2020
1
3
Dr. Steven Machtinger
43 years experience in Allergy and Immunology
Hope these 2 answers are not confusing. In the 1st I addressed dosing considerations. Dr. Miller, a competent medical student, addresses the question of only giving epinephrine for anaphylaxis not just for hives. Anyone with anaphylaxis needs their own EpiPen because to be useful it must be with them at all times. You can use another's EpiPen in an emergency but the safest path is for each person to have their own.
Jul 13, 2012