what are the symptoms of cerebral malaria?

Dr. Joel Gallant
Infectious Disease 36 years experience
Bad stuff: Headache, fever, confusion...Then coma and death.
Dr. Robert Greer
Not always death: This a very serious manifestation of malaria(usually falciparum) and demands aggressive treatment.
Cerebral Malaria: Cerebral malaria is a neurologic complication of Plasmodium falciparum infection. In children it can present w weakness & debilitating fatigue leading to seizures. It can cause swelling of brain, hemorrhages & sometimes body posturing, abnl eye movements & breathing patterns & changes of pupil size. Untreated Cerebral malaria is usually fatal in children. In adults sx's can include fever.