U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

I have compulsive and obsessions of negative emotions, intrusive thoughts. should i get treated for "impulsivity"?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
Child Psychiatry 23 years experience
Not the same: Although "impulsive: and "compulsive" sound similar, they have completely different meanings. In one sense they may even be considered the opposite. You may be having a problem in the obsessive-compulsive spectrum, but it sounds like clinical (major) depression is a definite possibility as well. I recommend that you obtain an evaluation from a qualified professional for a more accurate diagnosis.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Psychiatry 37 years experience
You should have: An evaluation by a family doctor first and if medically cleared, you should be evaluated by a psychiatrst in your area!

Related questions

A 35-year-old member asked:
What might I do to get over my tv show obsession?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Is it likely for moments of strong emotion to increase OCD obsessions/compulsions?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Can bipolar people sometimes have obsessive compulsive thoughts?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
What are the 2-3 best meds to get rid of my obsessive compulsive behavior?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 36-year-old member asked:
Does obsessive compulsive disorder get worse as time goes on? Please, need some answers?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.