I have a torn meniscus in my knee. do i have to have surgery?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. John McDonald answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

No: A meniscus can heal on its own. This typically occurs in the first 6 weeks or so after injury. However, some tears become asymptomatic and can be managed with injections and physical therapy. If pain and swelling persist despite nsaids, pt, rest, injections, then usually a surgery is warranted depending on how much arthritis is in the joint. Speak to your ortho surgeon for more detail.

Answered 2/3/2017

5.7k views

Dr. Brian Sabb answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

No, it depends: Knee surgery is not always indicated in meniscal tears. Are you in pain? Limited range of motion? There are many types of tears, large ones, small ones, stable and unstable ones. You can get fragments that are displaced or flipped, these usually need surgery. Prior to having surgery the orthopaedist will try to determine if your signs and symptoms are related to the meniscal tear or to other.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Peter Nefcy answered

Specializes in Radiology

Maybe: It depends on your symptoms and the location of the meniscal tear. Some small tears located in the vascular areas of the meniscus may heal, while others usually do not. But if symptoms are severe or interfere with activities of daily living, then surgery is the best choice.

Answered 9/6/2014

3.7k views