how many pounds can they remove with breast reduction surgery?

Dr. Barry Press
Plastic Surgery 44 years experience
Usually not so much: This is not an operation for weight reduction. Most reductions are in the range of 800-2000 grams for both breasts combined, which is about 2-4 pounds. The operation is most often done for symptoms related to the weight of the enlarged breasts: neck and shoulder pain, shoulder grooving from the bra straps, and fungal infections of the skin under the breasts--not for weight loss.
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Plastic Surgery 25 years experience
1-3 pounds: Removal of 1-3 pounds of weight from each breast can result in a significant improvement in posture, pain relief, and other symptoms. Although this may not seem like a lot, it may be enough to provide you significant improvement. Secondarily, your breasts will also be lifted to a more youthful position.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
1-4 Pounds.: Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform. By removing the low/heavy breast tissue/skin (1-4 pounds), many patients will experience improvement in neck, back, shoulder discomfort. Best wishes.
Dr. Joseph Mele
Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
Whatever is extra.: The amount of breast tissue removed is determined by what we want to leave behind. The difference between what is there and where we want to be can be 1, 2 even 5 lbs. In larger reductions.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
1000gms=2.2lbs: Generally speaking, the more tissue that is removed, the greater risk for potentially compromise the vascular and nerve supply to the nipple.