Is there any successful treatment for life long lymphedema in the legs?

Dr. John Ebner
Dermatology 19 years experience
Serial compression: Serial compression wraps to the legs are an effective way to push the fluid slowly out of the legs in cases of lymphedema. This can be a slow process, and wearing the wraps 24 hrs a day can be difficult to tolerate.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine 35 years experience
CDT: Complex decongestive therapy - at home use a old sock filled with popcorn foam - package foam tie the end of sock use one on top of leg another one in calf area and use ace wrap to keep this in place - will help breakdown fluid and improve edema.
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Interesting idea!
Apr 2, 2013
Dr. Ted King
41 years experience
Lymphedema treatment: Unfortunately, if you haven't had surgery and/or radiation, there is a very good chance that the cause of your lymphedema will be impossible to determine. If there is a treatable cause, it should be treated. Otherwise, the treatment is manual lymphatic drainage, compression stockings, decongestion exercises, weight loss (if needed), and intermittent pneumatic compression for life.