i got my ecg results and my q wave was abnormal. does this mean that i had a heart attack?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Mark Stern
45 years experience Cardiology
Not necessarily: A Q wave on an EKG can have many causes including lead placement or even the position of the heart in the chest and only if there are multiple ones in a pattern might they mean a heart attack.
Answered on Feb 18, 2015
3
Dr. Liviu Klein
22 years experience Cardiology
It depends: It depends on the location and size of the Q waves in relation to the other parts of the qrs complex. Ask your doctor to look at the ECG and let you know.
Answered on Feb 18, 2015
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
31 years experience Cardiology
Echo helps: Sometimes an echocardiogram (ultrasound test) will help clarify whether Q wave on an ekg indicates an old heart attack or simply a normal variant due to the position if the heart in the chest cavity.
Answered on Mar 23, 2018