if i have stitches, how would i clean my wound?

Simple cleaning OK: Many wounds will continue to ooze a bit of serum after closure & that can build up & provide food for skin germs that could later invade & infect it. A brief cleaning of the area with soap & water or peroxide being sure to leave it dry can remove the serum & prevent infection. Working around stitches with a wet q tip is also helpful.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 22 years experience
Consult your surgeon: Wound care instructions should be obtained from a physician who has inspected your wound. Not all wounds are the same and not all will have the same treatment. Generally however, the wound site should be regularly cleansed with sterile saline or a wound cleanser. Deeper more involved wounds with signs of infection may require oral antibiotics. Consult with your physician for a plan of care.