I have pain in my left heel for a month now. How can I tell if it's plantar fascitis or a bone spur or a fracture of the heel bone? Thanks.

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
27 years experience in Podiatry
A spur and fascitis: are for all intents and purposes treated the same way. An xray lets you know if the spur is present, and fascitis is said to be diagnosed via ultrasound or MRI as having fascia with a thickness greater than 3mm. A fracture usually presents different than the others. Pain usually doesn't ease up as you start to walk on it, and there is pain on compression of the heel. An MRI helps make the diagnosis.
Answered on May 15, 2018