A member asked:

Had open henia surgery. job requies lifting 75 lbs and pushing up to 150 lbs.how long after surgery before i can go back to work?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

6 weeks: mist surgeons recommend about six weeks before resuming heavy lifting after an open repair. I tell my parents to limit lifting to 10-15 pounds for first six weeks. We are trying to prevent a recurrence while healing occurs. Some debate exist for laparoscopic approaches

Answered 12/31/2014

3.4k views

Thank
Dr. Buck Parker answered

Specializes in General Surgery

6-8 Weeks: Depending on your overall health, and if you are a smoker or non-smoker it could be anywhere from 4-8 weeks. If I had more info about you and the surgery I could probably tell you, but my guess is more toward the 8 week mark. I think some surgeons will say 4 or 6 weeks, but I tend to be more conservative with people who have heavy lifting type jobs.

Answered 1/11/2015

3.4k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more