my dentist gave me denavir (penciclovir) for canker sores and i have used as directed ut they are still there?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
B VITAMINS: Canker sores are actually linked to digestive malfunction and there is some evidence that taking vitamin b complex can assist in healing/ preventing them. I also find that tea tree oil on a qtip on the canker sore can speed healing( does sting). Look at the chinese herbaceuticals on www.Franzcenter.Com as the schmoove there has produced good results as well.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
Other remedies: There are other medications like zovirax (acyclovir) which can be prescribed. I would personally use laser to quickly help my patient.
Dr. Sherly Alex
Dentistry 18 years experience
Canker sores: Canker sores usually heal on its own in about a week or two. You can use warm salt rinses directly on the sore to alleviate pain. If the sores continue to persist, or are large or painful, re-visit your dentist. Depending on the nature and severity of the sore, dentists can provide an alternate prescription and antimicrobial mouth rinses to reduce the pain.
Dr. David Epstein
Cosmetic Dentistry 24 years experience
Get Valcyclovir: canker sores are painful in the mouth and are usually caused by the herpes virus. Stress, chocolate etc.. Can cause these to become more prevalent and more painful. Valcyclovir is an antiviral drug that your doctor or dentist can prescribe for you that should help alleviate the pain within a day. However if it does not respond to it. It may not be viral and will respond to laser therapy
Dr. Alan Steinbach
Specializes in Family Medicine
recurrent sores INSIDE the mouth, one or two at a time and only every month or after an injury may be apthous ulcers, and respond to steroids like triamcinalone in orabase that helps the medication stick to the ulcer.
Jun 11, 2015