describe retinal vein occlusion?

Dr. James Leaming
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
Eye vessel problem: Retinal vein occlusion is blockage of the blood vessels returning from the eye to the body. Common retinal vascular disorder. Clinically it presents with variable visual loss. Central retinal vein occlusion results in "100 day glaucoma".
Dr. Lakshmana Kooragayala
Ophthalmology 36 years experience
Eye vessel problem: Retinal vein which drains the blood out of the eye gets occluded. This causes blurryness of vision, sometimes loss of vision. It can come suddendly. Elevated blood pressure and patients with diabetes are some of the risk factors. New treatments are available to control some of the problems due to closure of blood vessels in the eye.
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Retinal Surgery 19 years experience
See a retina special: A central or branch retinal vein occlusion can lead to vision loss. Lack of normal perfusion in the retina can lead to bleeding, swelling, and neovascularization. Treatment can include an intravitreal injection of a medication (anti-vegf or steroid) or laser depending on the type of vein occlusion. Do not delay in seeing a retina specialist.