Las Vegas, NV

Are doctors that are d.o.'s (osteopathic medicine) able to do all that it requires to be an anaesthesiologist?

Dr. Philip Miller
YES: however, I suggest that they be board certified and that they have completed a residency in anesthesiology.
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
Yes: DO and MD physicians can do every specialty in the United States. There are a few DO specialties that rarely have MD's in them such as Ones dealing with advanced Osteomanipulative Techniques. This is only a matter of training however. When you go to a hospital and are treated now days you may likely not know if the doctor who is treating you is a DO or an MD. I generally don't and I work there.
Dr. Alexander Bankov
Anesthesiology 37 years experience
Yes: when they complete formal training in the specialty of Anesthesiology in the approved residency program. Among my colleagues who I worked with over the years quite a few were D.O.s
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology 24 years experience
Yes: Yes, if they had required residency training
Dr. Julia Aharonov
Anesthesiology 25 years experience
Absolutely!: I graduated UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine in 1996 and completed my Residency in Anesthesiology on University of Michigan. I have been Board Certified in Anesthesiology since 2001and loving it! D.O.s can do any medicine and are fabulous physicians. I now have two kids in D.O. schools (by choice). They wanted to have the invaluable skills of osteopathic manipulation. Thanks for asking.
Dr. Peter Fischer
Anesthesiology 25 years experience
Anesthesia Residency: After one completes medical school (allopathic or osteopathic), one would then go on to complete an Internship and three years of an Anesthesia Residency. Both M.D.s and D.O.s can apply for, be accepted into, and then complete the same post-Doctoral training/educational program in Anesthesiology. So, given the aforementioned, the answer to your question is "Yes."
Dr. Vivek Iyer
Specializes in Anesthesiology
Absolutely: I have trained with and have been trained by DO physicians. It is the speciality training in Anesthesiology and the motivation of the individual that defines the type of anesthesiologist. Not MD vs DO.
Dr. Samuel Smith
Anesthesiology 21 years experience
Yes: To become an Anesthesiologist, you must complete 4 years in a post-doctoral (after getting your MD or DO degree) RESIDENCY program in Anesthesiology. MD's and DO's can match to Anesthesia Residency programs equally in the US and become Anesthesiologists.
Neurology 52 years experience
You bet: Doctors with MD or DO degrees must do residency training to qualify as anesthesiologists, and I have friends who have osteopathic backgrounds, who are superb practitioners.