Are doctors that are d.o.'s (osteopathic medicine) able to do all that it requires to be an anaesthesiologist?

14 doctors weighed in across 9 answers
Dr. Philip Miller answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

YES: however, I suggest that they be board certified and that they have completed a residency in anesthesiology.

Answered 12/5/2015

3.5k views

Dr. Jeffrey Juchau answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Yes: DO and MD physicians can do every specialty in the United States. There are a few DO specialties that rarely have MD's in them such as Ones dealing with advanced Osteomanipulative Techniques. This is only a matter of training however. When you go to a hospital and are treated now days you may likely not know if the doctor who is treating you is a DO or an MD. I generally don't and I work there.

Answered 5/13/2016

3.5k views

Dr. Alexander Bankov answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Yes: when they complete formal training in the specialty of Anesthesiology in the approved residency program. Among my colleagues who I worked with over the years quite a few were D.O.s

Answered 5/13/2016

3k views

Dr. Boris Aronzon answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Yes: Yes, if they had required residency training

Answered 11/27/2020

3k views

Dr. Julia Aharonov answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Absolutely!: I graduated UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine in 1996 and completed my Residency in Anesthesiology on University of Michigan. I have been Board Certified in Anesthesiology since 2001and loving it! D.O.s can do any medicine and are fabulous physicians. I now have two kids in D.O. schools (by choice). They wanted to have the invaluable skills of osteopathic manipulation. Thanks for asking.

Answered 5/13/2016

1.9k views

Dr. Peter Fischer answered

Specializes in Healthcare Professional

Anesthesia Residency: After one completes medical school (allopathic or osteopathic), one would then go on to complete an Internship and three years of an Anesthesia Residency. Both M.D.s and D.O.s can apply for, be accepted into, and then complete the same post-Doctoral training/educational program in Anesthesiology. So, given the aforementioned, the answer to your question is "Yes."

Answered 5/13/2016

1.8k views

Dr. Vivek Iyer answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Absolutely: I have trained with and have been trained by DO physicians. It is the speciality training in Anesthesiology and the motivation of the individual that defines the type of anesthesiologist. Not MD vs DO.

Answered 6/2/2017

1.8k views

Dr. Samuel Smith answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

Yes: To become an Anesthesiologist, you must complete 4 years in a post-doctoral (after getting your MD or DO degree) RESIDENCY program in Anesthesiology. MD's and DO's can match to Anesthesia Residency programs equally in the US and become Anesthesiologists.

Answered 11/26/2016

1.7k views

Dr. Bennett Machanic answered

Specializes in Neurology

You bet: Doctors with MD or DO degrees must do residency training to qualify as anesthesiologists, and I have friends who have osteopathic backgrounds, who are superb practitioners.

Answered 5/13/2016

1.3k views