PA

For about two weeks now, i've noticed a slowly increasing pain at the base of my big toe nail and the area is red and slightly swollen. what is it?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Ingrown toenail?: Hi. I can't say without seeing it, and I'm not a podiatrist, but it sure sounds like an ingrown toenail to me. You could see your doc for an assessment. If it is, you could see a podiatrist for a fix. Good luck!
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Paronychia - Yuk!!: Your description is classic for a condition known as paronychia. The nail in general is inflamed and probably infected. The nail is not necessarily ingrown, as onychocryptosis, but both conditions are similar. A common cause is aggressive pedicure where the cuticle was violated. You may nee to have it evaluated, and appropriate antibiotics prescribed to prevent a more involved remedy.

Last updated May 4, 2018