Why is my big toe swollen and red along nail?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 33 years experience
Paronychia: An infection that develops along the edge of the fingernail or toenail is called a paronychia (pear-ah-nik-ee-ah). It is the most common hand infection and, if left untreated, can progress to a more severe infection of the entire finger or toe. Paronychia can be caused by bacteria, candida and fungal infections. See your doctor for treatment.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
Infection: See a podiatrist. You may need a part of the toenail removed to allow for proper drainage. Sometimes, an oral antibiotic may be necessary as well.