I dropped a 60 pound log on my left big toe and now the nail is purple and the area just below the nail is red and swollen. is it broken?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Shari Schabowski answered

Specializes in Emergency Medicine

If it is very painful it may be a subungual hematoma. This is blood trapped under the nail under pressure. If this is your problem the nail has to be trephinated (hole in it) to drain the blood. If it is a subungual hematoma it will be very painful to put pressure on the nail. If it is broken and you tap the end of the toe the vibration will cause localized pain at the site of the fracture.

Answered May 11, 2018

3.3k views

Dr. Ejiro Isiorho answered

Specializes in Podiatry

You should go to see your doctor or go to an urgent care center for x-rays. It would be beneficial if you get referred to a podiatrist for final management of your sore toe.

Answered Jan 16, 2015

3.3k views