what is the difference between gabapentin and gralise 1200mg other than cost?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
38 years experience Pain Management
Gaba and Gralise: Both are the same - Gabapentin. The gralise is a special formulation that slowly releases the gabapentin so that maximum uptake can be obtained. Gralise is a once a day (at night 1 hr after dinner). Gabapentinn is 3 times a day.
Answered on Apr 26, 2019
1
Dr. Alfred Forrester
41 years experience Psychiatry
Different prep.: This was a question for which I needed to consult a pharmacology reference book, because I had not previously encountered Gralise. The latter is an extended release preparation of gabapentin: while the latter is usually prescribed on a BID to TID schedule, the Gralise is prescribed once a day, usually after the evening meal. Gabapentin would probably be just as effective, although less convenient.
Answered on Mar 14, 2018
1
Dr. Evans Prieston
43 years experience Pharmacology
Gralise - Gabapentin: Gabapentin is a generic name and Gralise is a brand name for the particular generic of gabapentin. In other words, they are the same drugs which possess the same therapeutic effects. The only difference should be the cost. However, because of possible differences in how the drugs are absorbed by your G.I. tract, I would recommend that you not change from one brand to another.
Answered on Mar 14, 2018
2