Irving, TX

I have been prescribed omperazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin to treat h pylori.. can i take probiotics with them ?

Dr. John Munshower
Yes,..but: Probiotics do not affect antibiotics. However, Antibiotics treat bacterial infections. Since the drugs cannot distinguish the bacteria that cause illness from the ones that protect you, their active ingredients kill all of them. As a result, the good bacteria are eliminated when you take probiotics concurrently with antibiotics.
Dr. Kimberly Ramsdell
I agree and recommend taking the Probiotic for at least the next 14 days after finishing the triple course. Also, try to avoid baths (shower instead), and get out of sweaty or constricting clothes. Expose to air if possible, pat dry the genital area well, too. I've heard many times that if too much sugar is eaten, it could increase the amount of yeast in the colon. Not sure on that one.
Nov 23, 2014

Last updated Nov 24, 2014