Rocklin, CA

i have a sinus infection for the past four days and i started 800mg augmenten today with my flownase but need to add my prednisone taper. ?

Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Prednisone: The addition of prednisone is not typical for acute sinusitis. It can add anti inflammatory action beyond Flonase, but has tradeoffs - less infection eradication is one possibility. But yes you can feel better with prednisone and drainage can lessen. Ask your PCP first.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Why taper?: With Flonase and Augmentin, (amoxicillin and clavulanate) plus avoiding all fragrances, aerosols, heating and cooking oils that irritate respiratory tract membranes, and a little time, you may not need oral steroids. Wait awhile first. Why risk the steroid weight gain if you don't need it? If there is another reason for your desire for steroids, let us know. I almost never prescribe oral steroids for a simple sinus infection
Dr. Duane Gels
Allergy and Immunology 37 years experience
Maybe: This is not a forum for personal medical advice, however Augmentin, (amoxicillin and clavulanate) Flonase and prednisone (steroid) are all typically used for sinus infections. Bacterial sinusitis can be inferred when thick, foul nasal discharge and a wet cough lasts beyond 5-7 days. Whether systemic steroids (prednisone) hastens recovery is some matter of debate. I'd check with the prescriber.