U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Myrtle Beach, SC
A 52-year-old female asked:

Moderate facet arthrosis? i've not heard this term before, (on an mri report). please explain, & how do i fix it?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 59 years experience
Joints: Facets are the JOINTS between your vertebrae! "Arthrosis" means "abnormal joint" usually referring to early arthritis. Hope this helps Dr Z
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 59 years experience
Provided original answer
Nov 19, 2014
Dr. Jessica Allan
Internal Medicine 23 years experience
Arthritis: Visualize each vertebral level of the spine consists of 3 joints. There is a joint btw the bodies of two vertebra connected by an intervertebral disc, and 2 facet joints which connect one vertebra to the other. The facet joints are on the posterior aspect of the spine with one located on each side. Go back to the dr who ordered the MRI to discuss treatment options

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Aug 24, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.