Is it okay to take estazolam tablets nightly for sleep?

Dr. R Sangal
Dr. R Sangalanswered
Sleep Medicine 44 years experience
No: Firstly, Estazolam is not a good sleeping pill because it has a long half-life and stays in your body all day the next day. Secondly, sleeping pills should not be taken nightly, they should only be taken here and there, now and then. They are addictive, and tolerance and withdrawal develop. There are other medicines (mostly off-label) that are not sleeping pills but can be used long-term for sleep.
Dr. R Sangal
Dr. R Sangalanswered
Sleep Medicine 44 years experience
Not good idea: Sleeping pills should only be taken here and there, now and then, not everyday for weeks/months/years. Sleeping pills should be effective through the night and stop working by morning, which means they should have short half-lives. Prosom (estazolam) has a 10-24 hour half-life, so it is still in your system all day the next day and is not a good idea as a sleeping pill.
Please don't: You could easily develop a tolerance to estazolam / prosom if you take it every night.