U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 60-year-old female asked:

Why do i have extreme joint pains and stiffness in hips, lower back, elbows, knees and feet? r.a. has been ruled out. my x- rays come back fine.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. John Velyvis
25 years experience
Multiple joint pain: Joint pain is either degenerative (osteoarthritis) or inflammatory. There are over 100 kinds of arthritis. If rheumatoid factor is negative, you would look to ESR and CRP first. There are a battery of tests that follow for rarer conditions as more common ones are ruled out. Disease Markers (RF, CCP, ANF/ANA) for example. A rheumatologist may be helpful, as well as your primary doc
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Velyvis
undefined 25 years experience
Provided original answer
Correct. At this point, a rheumatologist is probably your best bet for a specialist. Diagnosis will probably require some tests, now that xrays have ruled out degenerative arthritis. Once a diagnosis is found, then appropriate treatment can be tried, including other specialists as indicated
Feb 16, 2015
Last updated Feb 3, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.