U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 43-year-old member asked:

How can i cope with panic and sadness?

3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Together, these: might signal depression, which is treatable by either a psychologist or psychiatrist. What are the causes? How long have the symptoms persisted? On the behavior side, learn to relax, meditate, do yoga, exercise. Try therapy. Severe cases benefit from medication support. Here's a reference for the anxiety part: http://www.psychologyproductsandservices.com/page2.html
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
DEPRESSION/PANIC: Get an evaluation from a psychiatrist to help identify what depression/panic means to you and whatever else may be bothering you. Consider recommendations for medication if any are given. Get a referral for a reputable psychotherapist to speak with. Meds and therapy combined are most optimal; no just one or the other.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Susan Feingold
Clinical Psychology 30 years experience
Once you have ruled out any medical problems, I would see a mental health specialist ( psychologist, social worker, counselor ) for an evaluation. They may refer to a psychiatrist for a med evaluation.. And encourage a combined treatment approach of Meds and therapy if symptoms are significantly affecting your functioning. However some patients respond to therapy alone.
Mar 28, 2015
Dr. Steven Hanley
Clinical Psychology 17 years experience
Be Mindful: Sadness and panic can be debilitating. But, it usually does not last forever (though it might seem like it does). If you aren't already seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist you might schedule an appointment to get things checked out. In the meantime practice being mindful and patient. Deep breaths. Calm.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

A 36-year-old member asked:

What to do about my panic and sadness, how to cope?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Lois A Freisleben-Cook
Pediatrics 36 years experience
Get help: ask your friends or family to help you. Have someone help you get to the doctor as soon as possible. If you are having thoughts of harming yourself call 911 and go immediately to the ER. Depression and anxiety are treatable and you can feel a lot better with the proper help.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 18-year-old female asked:
Can my 21 week old fetus feel my sadness/emotions?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
Is there a certain medication that works for sadness?
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 22-year-old male asked:
What are the effects of crying too much due to sadness?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
Please explain why is anger easier to deal with than sadness?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 17-year-old female asked:
Is it bad to hold in so much emotions such as crying and sadness?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Feb 28, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.