are spider veins a symptom associated with a particular medical condition?

Dr. Ted King
Varicose veins: The most common reason why spider veins develop in the legs is because of underlying venous reflux. This means that there are veins that aren't flowing properly under the surface of the skin that you can't see. When there is underlying reflux going into large veins at the surface, you see varicose veins. When small veins are affected, you see spider veins.
Dr. James Isobe
Phlebology 54 years experience
Maybe: Spider veins may be associated with venous incompetence, and the risk factors are heredity, pregnancy, prolonged standing/sitting as a lifestyle, age, obesity. One can have sv without underlying venous incompetence. Evaluation by a phlebologist will help in identifying the cause for your sv.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 47 years experience
Spider veins/medical: Spider veins can be associated with some medical conditions if they occur in unusual places such as with liver failure and rosacea. With these conditions spider veins can occur on the abdomen or face. However, most spider veins occur on the legs and are related to underlying venous insufficiency. If you have spider veins, then you should see a vein specialist.