how does hypothyroidism affect pregnancy? my level is 6.2. will it make morning sickness worse or trouble firing pregnancy?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Robert Lang
51 years experience Endocrinology
A lot: If you are not pregnant, it will be much harder to get pregnant with hypothyroidism. If you are pregnant, see your doctor right away for treatment because hypothyroidism will affect the development of brain of the fetus during the first trimester.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
3
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Thyroid/ pregnancy: Thyroid can have profound affects on fetal development. Please see and endocrinologist prior to pregnancy so that you will have adequate counseling and treatment
Answered on Sep 29, 2016
Dr. Randy Baker
39 years experience Holistic Medicine
Get treated first!: Hypothyroidism reduces fertility, making it more difficult to conceive but it is possible to get pregnant when hypothyroid. However, that would be unwise because hypothyroidism during pregnancy increases risk of miscarriage, pre-eclampsia, premature birth and having a mentally retarded child. It is important to make sure your thyroid level is normal first. See http://www.ivf1.com/hypothyroidism/
Answered on Feb 26, 2015