A member asked:

Can i try 5 htp in morning for depression if i take a 50mg of tramadol in early afternoon? thank you.

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

There is risk here.: I have seen a couple of patients who developed serotinergic syndrome on the combination of a serotonin medication & tramadol. 5-Hydroxytryptophan is chemical precursor to serotonin.

Answered 11/28/2017

3.7k views

Thank
Dr. Lynne Weixel answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

No! - Advise against: There's a serious interaction of increased risk of serotonin syndrome and that's not a good thing. "Trying" to find ways to feel better is a wonderful idea. But the ways that involve powerful chemicals are not for D.I.Y. (I'm not comfortable even when pros do it.) Search for changes in daily/social routines, scenes. Consider a new leisure activity, etc. Therapy support can really help. Be careful!

Answered 8/6/2015

3.7k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more