U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old member asked:

My eye doctor told me my astigmatism could not be corrected. is that true?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Witlin
LASIK Surgery 47 years experience
It depends: Most cases of astigmatism can be corrected with either glasses, contacts, or laser vision correction surgery. This is true if your cornea is otherwise healthy and your astigmatism is what is called "regular" astigmatism. If your astigmatism is caused by some other disease/condition of your cornea and is "irregular", it may not be fully correctable. Ask your eye doctor for more information.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 47-year-old member asked:

What do you suggest if my eye doctor told me my astigmatism could not be corrected?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwataanswered
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Just make sure that: your corrective lens prescription is fine. So, you can see 20/20 despite your astigmatic error. Should be no problem.
Last updated Mar 18, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.