my doctor suggests a vaginal mesh implant for my urinary incontinence, is this a safe procedure?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Betsy Greenleaf
23 years experience Gynecology
Yes: Every surgery has risks but mesh slings are the most effective for treatment of stress incontinence. Check these links. http://sufuorg.com/docs/news/AUGS-SUFU-MUS-Position-Statement-APPROVED-1-3-2014.aspx http://www.iuga.org/?page=slings
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
Dr. Abraham Morse
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
A urethral sling: is a thin strip of mesh that is used to support only the urethra. This particular use of mesh has been very thoroughly studied and has a low (NOT zero) risk of serious complications and a high (85-90% in most cases) success rate. If your surgeon is experienced with these devices and you have been properly evaluated, it is a reasonable recommendation. I hope this helps
Answered on Nov 27, 2017