My cardiologist said i had a prolapsed mitro valve. what does this mean?

Dr. Anita Prakash
Cardiology 29 years experience
Mitral valve prolaps: Mitral valve prolapse refers to a condition where the mitral valve leaflets (1 out of 4 valves in our heart) is mxyomatous, redundant and "billows" back, if you will, like a parachute into the left atrium during normal mitral valve closure. Because of its overdiagnosis in years past, the American society of Echocardiography, has come up with strict echo criteria for it. Check with your MD.
Dr. Anita Prakash
Cardiology 29 years experience
Provided original answer
Further, significance of MVP, relates to whether or not that it has comcommitant regurgitation or not. Natural history varies for males vs. females. Confirm the diagnosis for sure with your MD and ascertain if valve "leaky" at all or not as that determines treatment, need for followup and/or antibiotics before certain procedures. ACC/AHA have clear guidelines based on numerous trials.
Oct 10, 2014