My spleen was removed 20 years ago due to sperocytosis. platelets are now high (normal before). is elevation a result of no spleen ? or more serious?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. M. Hytham Beck answered

Specializes in Surgery

Yes but not serious: Yes oat likely the platelet count elevation could be related and noost likely nothing to worry about of course it depend how high we are talking about I will worry ore if the count is down because if it goes below specific level it can cause bleeding see your doctor for assurance

Answered 10/1/2014

3.7k views

Dr. Joyce Pastore answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Thrombocytosis: Not sure. You should carefully review a complete blood workup with your doctor to determine the cause of your abnormal platelet count. Be sure that you have received the pneumococcal vaccine, as well as vaccines to prevent meningitis and Haemophilus influenzae. Receive prophylactic antibiotics prior to dental work.

Answered 10/1/2014

3.7k views