spleen 14cm/many of my wbc and platelets were really low then came back to normal doctor is sending me to hematology what is she trying to rule out?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Shaad Abdullah
16 years experience Hematology and Oncology
Bone Marrow Problem: Low WBC and platelet count can be associated with bone marrow disorders. This could be secondary to a production problem versus a problem resulting in the destruction of those cells either from a diagnosis such as infections, medication side effects or cancer (such as leukemia, lymphoma etc). A hematologist will be able to discern the various causes and be able to treat if treatment is indicated.
Answered on Aug 14, 2020
2
Dr. Seema Harichand-Herdt
18 years experience Hematology and Oncology
Hematologic disorder: Low white blood cell counts and enlarged spleen can be seen in a number of conditions- liver disease, viral infections, and lymphoma would be examples. A hematologist will examine you, review your lab work and may order additional tests to try to determine the cause of these findings.
Answered on Aug 14, 2020
2