can grinding teeth lead to tooth loosening?

Dr. Jonathan Engel
Dentistry 39 years experience
Yes: Clenching and/or grinding can put stress on the support system of your teeth and cause tooth loosening. In addtion, if you have gum disease, tooth grinding and/or clenching can accelerate the breakdown due to the gum disease which can also result in loosening teeth.
Dr. Felicia Mata
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
Absolutely!
Dec 22, 2012
Dr. Michael Montgomery
Dentistry 41 years experience
Yes: More common to see tooth loosening associated with periodontal disease or in combination with it.
Dr. Felicia Mata
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
Yes.: If the occlusion or bite is not balanced, the dentition is more susceptible to periodontal damage from trauma that can eventually cause bone loss due to periodontal disease. Please see your dentist to have a mouth protection fabricated , e.g. A splint or mouth guard.