India

I've been taking lexapro (escitalopram) and klonopin for dep and gad and doing rtms. doc has asked me to take 0.125mg of pramipexole. is it a safe med to take? tyvm

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology 35 years experience
Safe? Yes: Pramipexole has been tried as adjunctive treatment for depression, mostly bipolar depression, in small trials, 20-40 subjects, with benefit for some. No interactions with your other meds. Don't know about India, but here in the States this is an off-label use; hence, many pharmacy benefit plans won't cover it. So there's a cost consideration, at least here.
Dr. Aron Tendler
Relatively: Pramipexole is a dopamine agonist that is used for Parkinson's or Restless Legs. Your doctor might be using it off label for another reason. All the dopamine agonists have some potential side effects that you can read about in the package insert but you are being given a very low dosage to start.

Last updated Oct 13, 2016