i got a cut in the kitchen i waited till the next day to get seen they gave me cephalexin. should i take it or treat it other ways i am healthconcious?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Raymond Schneider
I would take it.: My hand has a lot of close spaces and what starts as a simple cut could end up with loss of the finger.. No doubt if it was my injury I would take the antibiotic. If you cut your forearm you would have a better probability of doing well just because of the lack of close spaces and the anatomy maintained and the hand.
Answered on Dec 5, 2014
1
Dr. James Burns
37 years experience Emergency Medicine
Antibiotics are not: a "cure-all" and certainly can be the source of some serious side effects. A clean laceration to the hand not affecting deeper structures can be successfully treated with gentle cleaning, keeping the wound moist and covered on a daily basis without antibiotics. If you are otherwise healthy simply keep the wound clean (no peroxide or betadine), apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic and bandaid
Answered on Aug 16, 2015
1
44 years experience Pathology
Exactly. Soap and water are your best friends. Often simplest is best.
Sep 13, 2014