Indianapolis, IN

I got a cut in the kitchen i waited till the next day to get seen they gave me cephalexin. should i take it or treat it other ways i am healthconcious?

Dr. Raymond Schneider
47 years experience
I would take it.: My hand has a lot of close spaces and what starts as a simple cut could end up with loss of the finger.. No doubt if it was my injury I would take the antibiotic. If you cut your forearm you would have a better probability of doing well just because of the lack of close spaces and the anatomy maintained and the hand.
Dr. James Burns
Emergency Medicine 38 years experience
Antibiotics are not: a "cure-all" and certainly can be the source of some serious side effects. A clean laceration to the hand not affecting deeper structures can be successfully treated with gentle cleaning, keeping the wound moist and covered on a daily basis without antibiotics. If you are otherwise healthy simply keep the wound clean (no peroxide or betadine), apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic and bandaid
Pathology 45 years experience
Exactly. Soap and water are your best friends. Often simplest is best.
Sep 13, 2014

Last updated Aug 16, 2015