Orlando, FL

my arms, mainly left one seems to go numb only when i'm lying my back. what could cause this? numbness is from shoulder blade to pinky and ring finger

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Varies : The most common cause would probably be a pinched nerve in your neck. Other potential causes could potentially include thoracic outlet syndrome or one of multiple peripheral nerve entrapment syndromes such as carpal tunnel syndrome. I would not hesitate to be seen and a good exam could go a long way in determining the cause.
Dr. Jerome Zacks
Cardiology 51 years experience
? pinched nerve: Although it usually occurs at a later age, these symptoms might be due to compression of nerve roots exiting the spine and serving the arms. A neurologist could clarify this with a careful history, physical exam and MRI of the spine.