San Jose, CA

i'm at a lake and we ran out of water all we have is milk i take pills can i use the milk to get it down and will i be hydrated is tap water safe?

Dr. Laura Armas-Kolostroubis
Yes: Although is better to take medications as indicated, you may take them with milk if no other fluid is available. One exception would be if your medication is a diuretic. When going to a remote location, get a water bottle with a filter (most sport stores and many supermarkets carry them) in that way you'll always have drinkable water
Dr. Marvin Ott
Emergency Medicine 20 years experience
Yes: You can use the milk to take almost all pills, and stay hydrated (it has enough water content to keep an infant cow alive). If you want to try the tap water, look up the number for the local government water department, call them and ask if the water is safe to drink. Hope this helps!
Dr. James Okamoto
Yes: It is ok to use milk to take your pills. Tap water is safe to drink. If you take thyroid medication or doxycyline, it might not be absorbed as well if you take it with milk, but you will still absorb most of it. If you have the option, take it with tap water instead of milk. Most meds can be swallowed with milk without any problem.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Should be OK: Commercial milk is treated to be safe. Most tap water is also treated and is safe. How is it that you have run out of water and yet have tap water available? Anyway you can take your pills with milk or tap water and get the proper effect without fear.