Atlanta, GA

I was dx with gad/ panic disorder 90 days go. meds are 15 mg of lexapro (escitalopram) daily with .50 mg of ativan. i am not much better. should i insist on new meds?

Dr. Anita Prakash
Cardiology 30 years experience
Not necessarily: GAD can be challenging to treat and some times medicines is not the right therapy for everyone; you may wish to consider simultaneous behavioral therapy and/or yoga/meditation. Getting to the source of your anxiety and treating that may be more meaningful and may even allow you to get off meds. You ought to explore behavioral psychotherapy as you are young and being on Ativan (lorazepam) is not really optimal
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
I think not.: Your current med regimen clearly isn't working like it should, so change is needed. But rather than insisting on new meds, you should tell your doctor just what you told me: "I am not much better." Then you & your doctor can explore the entire range of treatment options and together decide what's the next best step.

Last updated Sep 29, 2016