U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old member asked:

Can you tell me if on my left shoulder then did an x-ray and he said my spine looks like an s and now i need surgery?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Scoliosis: you certainly would want to discuss this directly with your physician, but one possible explanation was that you were noted to have one shoulder higher than the other prompting an X-ray of the spine in which you were then found to have scoliosis. In general, if the scoliosis is larger than 45-50 degrees, they will tend to relentlessly progress and surgery is recommended.

Similar questions

A 48-year-old member asked:

They did an X-ray of my left shoulder and he said my spine looks like an s. Now I need surgery. What can I expect from the surgery?

2 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joshua Rovner
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 20 years experience
S- spine: This is a complicated question and depends on many factors. Most importantly is how severe the s-curve (scoliosis) is. You should definitely see a spine surgeon to measure your curvature and tell you if surgery is necessary.
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine 40 years experience
don't know your age or if youre symptomatic see an ortho who treats this problem don't rush and do surgery - its major surgery
Nov 26, 2014
Last updated Aug 27, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.