Symptoms of narcolepsy include what things?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Mark Patterson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Several: Narcolepsy is a chronic medical condition caused by the loss of a chemical in the brain (orexin/hypocretin). The symptoms include excessive daytime sleepiness, vivid dreams, sleep paralysis, and sometimes the brief loss of muscle tone (cataplexy). A sleep study can make the diagnosis. See your doctor if concerned as there are treatments. www.wakeupnarcolepsy.org is a good source of information.

Answered 6/29/2013

5.9k views

Dr. Marcel Hungs answered

Specializes in Neurology

Sleepiness: Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that causes excessive sleepiness and frequent daytime sleep attacks.Narcolepsy is a nervous system disorder. It is caused by a hypocretin deficiency in the hypothalamus. Symptoms include sleepiness, hallucinations, paralysis when laughing. The treatment of narcolepsy has much improved in the last decade.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.6k views