U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old member asked:

I have several symptoms of narcolepsy, do i just go to a regular dr. to treat it?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Sleep Medicine 19 years experience
Nonspecific: The symptoms can be very nonspecific. It would be important to rule out the "mimicers" of narcolepsy with medical tests and screening questionnaires. If there are more specific signs like cataplexy, a regular internist or gp may not feel comfortable diagnosing and managing. Specialist may be recommended. See pcp first if this has never been done and see what recommendatoin is re: specialist.
Dr. Mark Patterson
Pediatrics 33 years experience
Regular doctor 1st: Narcolepsy is a chronic condition associated with excessive daytime sleepiness. However, other conditions may mimic it. The epworth sleepiness scale (available on-line) is a helpful screening tool. I would suggest seeing your regular doctor first. They may send you for a sleep study to better define your condition or may refer you if they are uncertain what is wrong.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 32-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 30-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 27, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.