Astoria, OR

If i shot heroin 3 times during my relapse stage up til 19 weeks pregnant, before i knew i was pregnant. will my newborn test positive at birth. ?

Dr. Holly Maes
Depends on what...: If they test urine, unlikely to test positive. However if they test meconium, cord or hair/nails, they could show positive results. It really is just better for ALL involved (you, your baby and your OB) if you just admit the use of the heroin now to your OB so they can appropriately watch the baby. That baby spent half of your pregnancy exposed, especially in first trimester, so OB NEEDS to know.
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
29 years experience
Not if you stop now: If you haven't already, the most important thing you can do now is obtain pre-natal care. The doctor can help you get through any withdrawal symptoms so you and your baby will be healthy. If you don't have a regular doctor, Planned Parenthood is an option. Remember your doctor is on your side and your medical records are confidential. Best wishes for you and your baby.

Last updated Jun 2, 2017