Hello doctor what can i do for my ankles to stop swelling and for my back to stop hurting?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Susan Arnoult answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Cause?: There are several reasons why your ankles might swell - poor veins (varicose), prolonged standing, obesity, heart failure, kidney disease, excessive salt intake. I would see your doctor and get a thorough exam and labs checked.

Answered 9/28/2016

3.8k views

Dr. Joyce Pastore answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Ankle swelling: Need more information. Causes of ankle swelling include hot weather, recent trauma, hypertension, circulation. Need info on back pain, ? due to trauma, high intensity exercise- resulting in muscle strain. For the ankles, apply ice every 15 min, keep legs elevated above the level of he heart. Take Ibuprofen with food and apply a warm compress or heating pad. If no relief in a week, get an eval.

Answered 8/20/2014

3.8k views

Dr. Lee Wittenberg answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Ankle Swelling: The most common cause of Ankle Swelling is Venous insufficiency. This is a problem which commonly happens over time. If you are finding your ankles to be more swollen in the evenings after you have been standing all day, and less swollen in the mornings, this is likely what you are suffering from. Conservative treatment is elevation and compression stockings. See a vascular surgeon for others

Answered 8/20/2014

3.8k views