how long is residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery vs ent?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
OMS is usally a: Dental specialty, so you would go to dental school first, where ENT is an md or do specialty.
Dr. Jaime Quejada
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 34 years experience
Many OMS programs, now include education to fulfill the requirements of the MD degree, so residency lasts 6 years for these progrsams; otherwise it is usually a 4 year residency for those with a DDS.
Dec 29, 2013
Dr. James Hargan
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 23 years experience
4-6 years: There are 4 year programs as well as 6 year programs ( almost half are 6 year programs now). You complete medial school while a resident, in a 6 year program. So, dental school plus residency will be 8-10 years. I think ENT is 4 years med school, 1 year internship ( required after med school but not after dental school) and then 4 years residency. I hope this helps.
Dr. James Sunwoo
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 15 years experience
OMFS Residency: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency has two pathways available: the first pathway requires 4 years of residency. The second pathway requires 4 years of residency, medical school, and a general surgical internship. Both pathways provide excellent training. ENT residency is generally 5 years including a general surgical internship year.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
ENT vs OMS residency: The 5-year training program in ENT consists of 4 years of training in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, preceded by 1 year in general surgery. For OMS: four-year program, residents receive a certificate in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. After six-year program, residents receive a certificate in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery and MD degree.