DE

Elevated igf-1 212 (53-191)-no signs of acromegaly; endo won't retest-wants an mri; have pots/dysautonomia; do i need the mri? tired of testing

Dr. Thomas Knecht
33 years experience
2nd opinion: Hi. I would not do a pituitary MRI based on that IGF-1! Is it reproducible? Did the endo do a GH suppression test (GHST? The pituitary is famous for "incidentalomas", tumors that are incidentally found, but play no role in any pathophysiology. So if a tumor is seen, will the endo send a surgeon in?! Get a 2nd opinion from an experienced endo. I bet IGF-1 isn't reproducibly elevated. And do GHST.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Cesar Sturla
No: Normal IGF-1 level for your age is 132-333 ng/mL ( 6.6 to 33 nmol/L). As you can see a level of 212 ng/mL is not elevated, but rather above the mean. It could be better if it is closer to 333 ( the upper quartile ).
Last updated Mar 24, 2015